Reports: 40 dead after US rockets hit Fallujah mosque; Aide to Shiite cleric shot dead by Polish soldiers
U.S. Marines in a fierce battle in Fallujah fired rockets that hit a mosque filled with people Wednesday, and witnesses said as many as 40 people were killed.
Eyewitnesses in Fallujah saw vehicles ferrying the bodies from the mosque, which was hit by three missiles.
Sixteen children and eight women were reported killed when warplanes struck four houses late Tuesday, said Hatem Samir, a Fallujah Hospital official.
Elsewhere, supporters of anti-American Shiite cleric clashed with Polish troops Wednesday in the city of Karbala, and an aide to him was killed, his office reported.
According to The AP, fighters from the militia of cleric Muqtada al-Sadr fired on a Polish patrol in Karbala, sparking a gunbattle in the streets. During the fighting, al-Sadr aide Muntadhir al-Mussawi was killed, his office said.
Later, mourners carried away his body, chanting, "Today we will free Karbala from the Jews." (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Clashes in Fallujah, southern cities leave at least 64 Iraqis dead
- At least one Iraqi man killed in US raid on Fallujah
- At least 32 killed in Kufa battles as US marine killed near Fallujah
- Sadr supporters halt attacks in weekend as US looking for cease-fire in Fallujah
- At least 27 killed in mortar blast as Sistani proposes new peace initiative