Republican Guard division attacked by helicopters near Baghdad; Reports on battle near Karbala
U.S. Apache helicopters moved within 10 kilometres of Baghdad and attacked the armoured Medina division of the Republican Guard early Monday. The battle follows a series of tough firefights to the south. According to CNN, the helicopters attacked the Medina division, which protects Baghdad.
U.S. forces encountered heavy anti-aircraft fire as they tried to take out Iraqi tanks on the ground. Many of the choppers came back damaged.
Late Sunday, there were reports of a battle near Karbala and Al Hillah, where coalition troops engaged the Republican Guard. That battle would be the closest fighting yet to Baghdad. The battle near Karbala lasted three hours and ended in the early morning hours. (Albawaba.com)
- Fierce battle reported south of Baghdad
- Push towards Baghdad: US says Republican Guard division destroyed; Iraq denies
- U.S. forces in the heart of Baghdad; Clashes with Special Republican Guard units
- Kerbala encircled; Reports: US forces advance further north and west
- Franks speaks on further attacks on Republican Guard; Iraqi resistance resumed in south as US forces deploy in north