Resistance attacks intensify: Five US troops killed in 24 hours
One U.S. Marine was killed and one wounded early Sunday in a grenade attack south of Baghdad. The US military said the attack occurred at 2:35 a.m. in the region controlled by the Marines south of the capital.
On Saturday morning, three American troops were killed in Baqouba, northeast of Baghdad, and four were wounded in a grenade attack.
Another U.S. soldier died and two others were wounded later in the afternoon when their convoy was attacked west of Baghdad near the Abu Ghraib prison.
The deaths of the soldiers brought to 163 the number of soldiers killed in action in Iraq since the start of the war.
The US Army had warned that attacks might intensify after the US killed Saddam Hussein's two sons Uday and Qusay in an intense raid Tuesday in the northern city of Mosul while another group had vowed to avenge the deaths.
Ten US soldiers have now died since the brothers were killed. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Resistance attacks intensify: Two US soldiers, two Iraqis killed near Baghdad; Two troops missing
- British soldier killed as Sadr vows resistance to intensify
- Resistance continues despite death of Saddam sons as two US soldiers killed in fresh attacks in Iraq
- Second Israeli Assassination Attempt in 24 Hours Fails; More Wounded in Attack on Refugee Camp
- Members of '\'Saddam Fedayeen'\' vow to avenge killing of Uday and Qusay