Riyadh Could Request US Handover of Saudi Linked to Bin Laden
Saudi Arabia could ask Washington to hand over a Saudi national who is suspected of links to alleged terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden and whose extradition to the United States was just order by Britain, a newspaper reported Saturday.
A foreign ministry source told Okaz that Riyadh would request the extradition of Khalid al-Fawwaz "if it is proved that he is a Saudi national or implicated in terrorist operations in the kingdom or against Saudi interests abroad".
Lawyers for the London-based businessman wanted in the United States on terrorism charges failed in a High Court on Friday to block his extradition.
Fawwaz, 36, is alleged by the FBI to have close links with a terror network headed by bin Laden. He was arrested in Britain last year after a New York court charged him with conspiring with Bin Laden to murder Americans abroad.
The businessman denies that his organization, the Advice and Reformation Committee, is the British arm of a bin Laden terror organization, insisting it is a peaceful reform group.
Fawwaz now has two weeks to petition the House of Lords, the highest court in Britain, for permission to mount a further legal challenge.
Saudi Arabia, meanwhile, is "confident that Washington would comply with a possible Saudi extradition request, as was the case with the Saudi accused Hani el-Sayegh," said Okaz.
Sayegh, facing charges of involvement in a June 1996 bombing that killed 19 US servicemen in the eastern city of Dammam, was handed over to Saudi authorities in October 1999 – RIYADH (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US Backs Demand for Bin Laden Hand-Over with Combat Force Deployments
- Saudi Arabia hands over at least three Americans with alleged terror links
- Saudi Ambassador denies allegations Riyadh paid Bin Laden to prevent attack against Kingdom
- Businessman Fails in Bid to Block Extradition on Terror Charges
- Taliban Would Extradite Bin Laden If US Has Evidence of Link to Attacks