Russia Calls for ‘Urgent’ Action to Stop Middle East Violence
Russia said that urgent measures are needed to stop the violent escalation between Israelis and the Palestinians, said Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov on Thursday.
Ivanov’s remarks came during a meeting with Syrian Defense Minister Mustafa Tlass who arrived in Moscow on Tueday for bilateral and regional talks, reported the Russian Novosti news agency.
“Israelis and Palestinians must make a step towards each other to stop the confrontation, pacify the situation around Palestine and resume peace talks,” Ivanov said.
According to Ivanov, it is extremely important to prevent further escalation of the conflict in the Israel-Lebanon-Syria triangle, said the news agency.
Both ministers agreed that the crisis in this region must be defused as soon as possible.
For his part, Tlass pointed out Russia's prominent role in settlement in the Middle East, and encouraged the country's effort to help relieve the situation – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syrian Defense Minister in Moscow for Bilateral, Regional Talks
- Ivanov Holds Talks with Syrian President on Middle East Crisis
- Ivanov: Russia Preparing New Plan to Resolve Middle East Crisis
- Spokesman: Russian FM will not Visit Middle East in Near Future
- Ivanov: My Visit to the Middle East Aims at Containing Tension