Russian airstrikes kill 12 civilians in residential neighborhood in Aleppo
A Syrian civil defense volunteer evacuates a woman following a reported airstrike on April 23, 2016 in Aleppo. (AFP/Ameer Alhalbi)
Twelve people were killed Saturday in Russian airstrikes on an opposition-held neighborhood in Syria’s Aleppo province, a Syrian Civil Defense official told Anadolu Agency.
Ibrahim Abu Leith said that “Russian warplanes launched raids on residential positions in Tariq al-Bab neighborhood”.
At least 22 people were also injured in the attack and many buildings were severely damaged, according to Abu Leith.
Russia launched its military intervention in Syria in September 2015 supposedly after a formal request by the Bashar al-Assad regime for military help.
In March, Russia decided to reduce its forces in the war-torn country.
According to a tally compiled by Anadolu Agency, more than 361,000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict erupted in 2011.
By Esra Akgun
- Syria: Russian airstrikes in Aleppo kill four, wound over 60
- Russian airstrikes hit two hospitals in Aleppo, six killed: sources
- Russian airstrikes on schools kill three children in Aleppo
- Airstrikes on war-weary Aleppo kill 13 more civilians
- Russian airstrikes kill 50 civilians near Damascus: civil defense