Russian authorities searching for two suspects in deadly St. Petersburg bombing
Security personnel check passengers at the entrance to Leningradsky railway station in Moscow on April 3, 2017. (AFP/Alexander Nemenov)
Click here to add Alexander Lukashenko as an alert
Disable alert for Alexander Lukashenko,
Click here to add Antonio Guterres as an alert
Disable alert for Antonio Guterres,
Click here to add Donald Trump as an alert
Disable alert for Donald Trump,
Click here to add Interfax as an alert
Disable alert for Interfax,
Click here to add Moscow as an alert
Disable alert for Moscow,
Click here to add St. Petersburg as an alert
Disable alert for St. Petersburg,
Click here to add Tekhnologichesky Institut as an alert
Disable alert for Tekhnologichesky Institut,
Click here to add United Nations as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations,
Click here to add Vladimir Putin as an alert
Disable alert for Vladimir Putin
A bomb exploded on an underground train in central St Petersburg on Monday, killing at least 10 people and wounding dozens, in what Russian prosecutors are considering a terrorist attack.
Russian authorities announced a search for two people believed to have been involved in the bombing, the Interfax news agency reported.
One suspect is believed to have placed a bomb under a seat on the train, which exploded while it was travelling between stations, while the other allegedly planted a bomb that remained undetonated at a nearby station.
Authorities in Russia's second-largest city believe a homemade bomb containing shrapnel caused the blast.
Footage from the scene showed shattered windows and train doors that had been ripped open by the blast.
There were conflicting reports on how many were wounded, with state media sources saying between 20 and 50.
The prosecutor general's office condemned the blast as a terrorist attack.
All underground stations in the city have been closed. About 3 million people use the St Petersburg underground every day.
Security was increased at transport hubs across the country in the wake of the attack.
President Vladimir Putin was visiting the city, his hometown, for talks with his Belarusian counterpart, Alexander Lukashenko when the blast happened. He offered his condolences to the victims' families.
Condolences also began to arrive from leaders abroad.
US President Donald Trump denounced the attack as a "terrible thing."
"Happening all over the world. Absolutely a terrible thing,” Trump told reporters in response to a question about the attack.
"Those responsible for this appalling act must be held accountable," said a spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
The blast occurred around 2:40 pm (1240 GMT) while the train was between the central stations of Sennaya Ploshchad and Tekhnologichesky Institut, state media reported.
Security camera footage showed a suspect with a long beard and dark clothing.
Trains have been the target of attacks in the past in Russia.
In 2010, a pair of suicide bombings claimed by an Islamic separatist group on the Moscow underground killed at least 40 people.
A year earlier, that same separatist group, Caucasus Emirate, claimed it was the perpetrator of a bombing of a high-speed train en route from Moscow to St Petersburg, which killed at least 27 people.
By Peter Spinella
- Boston Bombing blamed on Muslim brothers: Kid terror sibling suspect still at large
- Uncle to Boston Marathon suspect: slams nephew "loser" and smear on family, country, Islam
- Thirteen suspects in court over Istanbul airport bombings
- Iraq: Group claims kidnapping of two US soldiers
- Lebanese authorities arrest three terror cells involved in recent bombings