Saddam cousin - dubbed ''Chemical Ali'' - arrested by US forces
The notorious Iraqi general known as "Chemical Ali" -- Saddam Hussein's cousin who allegedly ordered a deadly chemical weapons attack against Kurds in 1988 -- was arrested by US forces, U.S. officials said Thursday.
In April, the U.S. Central Command said the body of Gen. Ali Hassan al-Majeed, fifth on US most wanted Iraqis list, had been found after an air assault on his home in the southern Iraqi city of Basra. At that time, British Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon said there were "indications that that is the case.".
Al-Majeed had been coordinating the resistance in southern Iraq, according to press reports. He has been accused of ordering the attack against Kurds in northern Iraq in 1988, which killed some 5,000. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US troops seize Presidential palace, 'Chemical Ali' reported dead
- Saddam cousin has no regrets regarding attack on Kurds
- Two more senior members of Saddam Hussein's regime arrested
- Bush administration plans to prosecute Saddam for ''war crimes''; Experts: U.S. attack may lead to Iraqi coup
- Saddam Hussein's presidential secretary arrested by US forces