Saddam Hussein Wants ‘best foreign coach’ for Iraq's Soccer Team
Iraq's President Saddam Hussein has given instructions to hire the "best foreign coach" for the national team, without specifying what nationality would be acceptable, newspapers reported Tuesday.
Saddam's eldest son Uday, president of the Iraqi Olympic Committee, said the decision was taken to "serve the sport and Iraqi sportsmen".
Iraqi Adnan Hamad currently coaches his national team, which finished third after Iran and Syria in the King Hussein tournament in Amman in May.
The proposed recruitment of a foreign coach has been at the center of debate in Iraqi newspapers over recent months – (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iraqi President Saddam Hussein’s speech on the occasion of the 34th anniversary of the July 17-30 revolution
- Saddam Hussein: Iraq Has No Weapons Of Mass Destruction; Warns Turkey
- Saddam\'s Son Reelected Iraqi Olympic Committee Chief
- Defiant Iraq shrugs off early warning shot from Bush\'s Gulf War team
- Powell reiterates Washington wants ''regime change'' in Baghdad