Saudi Arabia declares victory on Yemeni Shiite fighters
Saudi Arabia declared victory over Yemeni Shi’ite rebels on Wednesday following a truce offer which included a withdrawal from all Saudi territory. “We achieved a clear victory,” Saudi Assistant Minister of Defence Prince Khaled bin Sultan said, according to Reuters. He stressed the rebels had been forced from Saudi land.
“We cleansed the area ... Withdrawal was not an option for them.”
A senior Saudi military official said the kingdom's army was no longer exchanging fire with the rebels. However, Prince Khaled said some rebel snipers were still active. “Last night, since they announced a ceasefire, they did not fire and we did not have any engagement,” Major General Said al-Ghamdi, commanding general of first paratrooper brigade, stated in the border area. “They are not in our lands.”