Saudi Arabia fired 200 Muslim preachers
Saudi Arabia has fired 44 "incompetent" Friday preachers, 160 imams (prayer leaders) and 149 muezzin (prayer callers) in the past six months, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
Authorities, in addition, suspended 1,357 religious officials from their duties and ordered them to undergo training, according to Al-Hayat.
Those suspended from duties include 517 imams, 90 Friday preachers and 750 muezzin. They have been asked to undergo "theological training" to be able to work more efficiently at mosques.
The dismissals took place in accordance with a program introduced by the Saudi Arabian ministry of Islamic affairs to boost performance of mosque employees, the daily said. (Albawaba.com)
- UAE Mosque Imams Ordered to Stick to Standard Sermon Text
- #Sinful: Saudi preacher tells Muslims to be nice to their fellow tweeps
- Saudi as world human rights watch? Now they accuse Myanmar of 'ethnic cleansing'
- Saudi cracks down on freedom of speech amid Syria fears
- Saudi preacher who allegedly raped and killed 5-year-old daughter stirs anger