Saudi Arabia Welcomes Iranian Pullout from Disputed Gas Field
Saudi Arabia welcomed Monday the announcement by Iran that it had stopped all drilling at the Dorra offshore gas field which Riyadh, Kuwait and Tehran all claim.
"It's a praiseworthy act of good neighborliness," Defense Minister Prince Sultan bin Abdel Aziz was quoted Sunday by AFP as saying.
Iran said Saturday it had stopped all drilling and insisted it had no intention of sparking a petro-dispute, added AFP.
Kuwaiti oil minister Sheikh Saud Nasser al-Sabah was quoted Sunday by Kuwait News Agency as saying he would visit Tehran shortly to discuss the dispute.
"This move shows the depth of the good ties between Iran and Kuwait and (we) hope that this (maritime border) problem is resolved in the near future," he added.
Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have drawn up their land border and agreed how to share the enormous oil wealth in the area, but the sea border has not been finalized.
"We have no differences on the subject with our Kuwaiti brothers and (demarcation) work is underway," Prince Sultan was quoted by KUNA as saying.
The Iranian announcement followed reports of high-level diplomatic efforts by both Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to get Iran to halt drilling and exploration work in the Dorra field.
Iranian deputy oil minister Mehdi Hosseini acknowledged that a platform at the disputed site had been active for three months but said it would now be dismantled, AFP said - (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iran FM: Tehran would Welcome GCC Committee to Resolve Land Dispute with UAE
- Kuwait's Oil Minister Arrives in Tehran for Talks on Border Dispute
- Iranian Minister Visits Kuwait as Tehran Moves to Defuse Gas Row
- ExxonMobil denies Saudi gas deal pullout
- Iranian MP: Iran Welcomes Settlement of Differences with UAE