KSA calls for foreign fighters to exit Syria
Saudi Arabia has exhorted all foreign fighters to leave Syria, calling on the international community to stop the killing machine of Bashar Assad’s regime.
The Saudi statement on Tuesday came on the eve of the Geneva 2 peace conference that begins in Switzerland on Wednesday. Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal has already arrived in Geneva to attend the peace talks.
Speaking at the UN Security Council on Tuesday, Abdullah Al-Moallemi, the Kingdom’s permanent ambassador to the UN, slammed the UN Security Council for not issuing a statement condemning grave human rights violations in Syria.
He said the presence of foreign fighters in Syria was dangerous for the country. He called on the international community, led by influential countries, to pressure Assad’s government to stop its crimes against humanity.
Al-Moallemi urged the Security Council to issue a decisive decision on the delivery of humanitarian assistance to all parties and impose deterrent penalties on those who impede this aid.
Adding urgency to the Geneva talks, three former international prosecutors have accused the Assad regime of large-scale killing and torture. Their report, revealed Monday by The Guardian newspaper and CNN television, and based on the evidence of a military police defector, said about 55,000 digital images of 11,000 dead detainees had been handed over.
One of the report’s authors, Desmond de Silva, the former chief prosecutor of the special court for Sierra Leone, told The Guardian that the evidence showed that Assad’s forces had carried out “industrial-scale killing.”
The report, commissioned by the government of Qatar, examined thousands of pictures said to have been smuggled out by a former military police photographer. The report shows explicit evidence of starvation, strangulation and beatings, and features pictures of emaciated corpses with livid wounds.