Search goes on for victims after Iraq suicide bomb kills 120 people
Locals observe the site of a Baghdad car bomb in August, 2013. Friday's car bomb attack near Baghdad killed at least 120 people, including at least 15 children. (AFP/Ali al-Saadi)
Officials say at least 120 people were killed and another 130 were injured.
The self-proclaimed Islamic State group (also known by its Arabic acronym Daesh) claimed responsibility for the bomb in the mainly Shi’ite town of Khan Bani Saad about 30 kilometres from Baghdad, in one of its deadliest attacks.
“Terrorists? Was it ISIL [Daesh]? We don’t know. How did this car enter? All these people are dead. The buildings are burned. Look at the streets. This is the first day of Eid, hundreds of people were killed, many injured, and there are still people we cannot find,” said local resident Sayif Ali.
Daesh said the car contained three tons of explosives.
At least 15 children were reported to have been among the dead.
Three days of mourning have been declared in the province and Eid festivities cancelled.
In January the Iraqi government said the area had been “liberated” from the jihadists.
On Saturday the parliamentary speaker said the authorities were doing all they could to stop Daesh from further destabilising the region.
Editor's note: This article has been edited from the source material.
- Officials: Car bombing near busy Iraq market kills 30
- People of Najaf in state of shock after more than 120, including top leader, killed in bombing attack
- Yemen sinks deeper into chaos after Daesh claims mosque bombings
- Iraq: More than 60 people killed, over 200 wounded in attacks
- Iraqi worker killed in attack as country starts three-day mourning following bombings at Shiite shrines