Security chief: Yemen will not become safe haven for al Qaeda
Yemen has detained 29 suspected al Qaeda members to foil attacks on oil facilities and foreign interests including the British embassy, the country's national security chief Ali Mohammad Al-Ansi said on Monday. According to him, the pre-emptive strikes at al-Qaeda in the south and north proved that "Yemen has not been and never will be a safe haven for the terrorist network."
He made these comments after Washington said a Nigerian who tried to explode inside an American passenger jet on Christmas Day claimed he got help from al Qaeda activists in Yemen. However, Ansi made no comment on the attempted Christmas Day bombing.
According to Reuters, Ansi said that al Qaeda had been planning to attack Yemeni government institutions as well as the UK embassy in Sanaa. "Until now 29 persons have been arrested and authorities are still following up and pursuing the remaining terrorists," he said in the remarks published on Monday.
The Yemeni security chief added the government raids in Abyan, Sana'a and Shabwa were successful and thwarted big terrorist plots. Thus, Al-Ansi also criticized the media over dealing with the strikes, urging accuracy and correct information about the security affairs in the country. A total of 64 suspects were killed and 29 suspects were arrested. In the operations in Abyan and Sana'a, the number of the dead was 34 and the arrested were 29. In the second operation in Shabwa, about 30 terrorist suspects were killed, he conveyed.
- Afghanistan could become sanctuary for Daesh, warns ex-CIA officer
- Investigation of Al Qaeda Senior Member Resulted in Closing US Embassy in Yemen
- American embassy in Yemen closed following killing of al-Qaeda activists
- Keep it non-Muslim! Qaeda chief issues first ever best practice 'Jihad guidelines'
- FM: Media exaggerating about al Qaeda in Yemen