Security forces crackdown on North Sinai, 21 arrested
Egyptian soliders at a guard post in North Sinai. (AFP/File)
North Sinai Security Directorate conducted crackdowns in different areas of the governorate, during which 21 fugitive criminals were arrested.
The directorate was searching for criminals guilty of various offenses, including intimidation of citizens, thuggery, and escape from prison.
According to security sources, the arrests came as part of a governorate-wide campaign to see the imprisonment of wanted criminals guilty of crimes of various degrees of severity.
The arrested included two convicted of felony, 14 of misdemeanors, and five of other legal violations.
The swoop is not the first of its kind carried out by local police in recent months. Back in March, a similar operation resulted in the arrest of 26 suspects. According to a press release following March's raid, the crackdown was a collaborative effort from criminal investigation personnel from several police departments along with Central Security Forces and other police units.
- Egypt continues crackdown on Sinai militants, smuggling tunnels
- Egyptian security forces raid Sinai, three militants killed and 21 arrested
- Egyptian army kills 21 militants in Sinai crackdown
- Five militants killed by Egyptian forces in North Sinai
- North Sinai security crackdown, closed to non-residents for a week