Senior Ba'ath Party member: Saddam deputy moved to Syria
A senior Ba'ath Party member in Kirkuk said General Izzat Ibrahim al-Duri, one of Saddam Hussein's deputies, set off for Syria in a large convoy as the regime collapsed last week, the Daily Telegraph reported on Monday.
Said Nazim Khoshid said Gen. al-Duri, who shortly before the war began was put in charge of the northern military region by Saddam, invited him to join his convoy.
Khoshid told Kurdish officials that he declined the offer, and said he did not know whether Gen. al-Duri reached Syria. He believed he left in a convoy of two dozen Chevrolet four-wheel drive vehicles and took some US$30 million in US dollars with him. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US Army: Saddam deputy still at large, American soldier killed near Samarra
- Government source says ''serious negotiations'' being held with Saddam deputy over surrender
- Iraqi Kurdish leader says he mediated between former Saddam Vice President, Americans
- Former Baath Party detained in Iraq
- Sources: Russia might have helped top Iraqi officials get out of Iraq