Sharon, Assad exchange messages through U.S. Congressman
U.S. Congressman Tom Lantos passed a message from Syrian President Bashar al Assad to Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, saying that Damascus is interested in diplomatic contacts between the two countries to resolve their differences, Haaretz reported Monday night.
Lantos handed over the message in a private session with Sharon. Before their private meeting, Sharon told Lantos Israel was prepared for "unconditional negotiations" with Syria.
Sharon also told Lantos that he expected Palestinian prime minister-designate Abu Mazen to fight "terror" by carrying out arrests, interrogations and foiling attacks, as detailed by the Zinni and Tenet plans, the report said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US Deputy Secretary of State: Syria may face sanctions; Congressman: Syria wants dialogue
- Report: Sharon Prepared to Meet Assad ‘Unconditionally’
- Israel confirms message exchanges with Syria
- Report: Sharon offers Assad to resume peace talks
- Mubarak, Ben Eliezer Conclude Talks; Israel Forwards Message To Syrian President Via Egypt