Sharon returns home with U.S. pledge to destroy Iraqi capability to launch missiles
The Bush administration has told Israel that it would deploy Special Operations forces in western Iraq at the start of any war against Saddam Hussein to destroy facilities that could be used to launch missiles at Israel, senior U.S. and Israeli officials told The Washington Post.
According to the report, Published Friday, the American pledge follows a secret reconnaissance mission in western Iraq this summer by Israeli special forces. The covert Israeli operation was aimed at determining whether Iraq had the capability to launch drone aircraft, in addition to Scud missiles, from its desert air bases.
Meanwhile, Sharon returned from Washington early Friday. (Albawaba.com)
- Peres: Iran Provided Hizbullah With 10,000 Long Rang Missiles to Destroy Israel; Khatami Calls to Boycott Israel
- Iraqi President Says Iraq Capable of Destroying Israel
- Britain launches its first airstrike against IS in Iraq
- <i>Time</i> magazine: Israeli special forces operating in Western Iraq
- Russians leave Baghdad while Saddam confident with the Iraqi army