Sharon returns home with U.S. pledge to destroy Iraqi capability to launch missiles
The Bush administration has told Israel that it would deploy Special Operations forces in western Iraq at the start of any war against Saddam Hussein to destroy facilities that could be used to launch missiles at Israel, senior U.S. and Israeli officials told The Washington Post.
According to the report, Published Friday, the American pledge follows a secret reconnaissance mission in western Iraq this summer by Israeli special forces. The covert Israeli operation was aimed at determining whether Iraq had the capability to launch drone aircraft, in addition to Scud missiles, from its desert air bases.
Meanwhile, Sharon returned from Washington early Friday. (Albawaba.com)
- <i>Time</i> magazine: Israeli special forces operating in Western Iraq
- Report: Jordan, U.S. hold secret talks to let American forces to defend Israel from Iraqi missiles
- Sharon heads to Washington to discuss Iraq
- U.S. offers Israel new generation of Patriot missiles
- Report: Israel's top-secret unit operating inside western Iraq