Sheikh Al-Azhar: War in Iraq not new '\'Crusade'\'
Grand Imam of Al-Azhar Sheikh Mohamed Sayyed Tantawi voiced on Sunday his objection to the description of the looming military aggression against Iraq as new "Crusade", noting that many Christians are against this war.
"All revealed religions call for peace, stability, reform and abhorrence of war," Tantawi said during his meeting with the head of supreme council of Anglican churches in Scotland.
"The 'Crusade' term carries a sense of racism which is fully rejected by Islam and Christianity," he added. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Sheikh al-Azhar criticizes Saddam, allows suicide attacks against invasion forces
- Nour El Sharif relives President Husni Mubarak’s attempted assassination
- Al-Azhar: Iraq council - “illegitimate”
- Far from a 'shoe in': Ahmadinejad comes under attack on diplomatic Cairo trip
- ''Bin Laden'': Iraq war - ''crusade'' against Muslims