Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani: A guide to Qatar's new leader
Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar’s Crown Prince, was born on June 3, 1980 in the Qatari capital Doha.
He is the fourth son of the Emir of Qatar, Shaikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani, 61, and the second child of the Emir with his second wife, Sheikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al Missned.
According to his official biography, he was educated at Harrow and Sherborne School, England where he received his A Levels in 1997. One year later, he graduated from Sandhurst Royal Military Academy.
He was appointed Heir Apparent on August 5, 2003 after his elder brother Sheikh Jasim renounced his rights in his favour.
Sheikh Tamim is Chairman of the Supreme Council for the Environment and Natural Reserves, Chairman of the Supreme Education Council, Chairman of the Supreme Council of Information and Communication Technology and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Public Works Authority and the Urban Planning and Development Authority.
He is Chairman of the Board of Directors of Qatar Investment Authority, Chairman of the Board of Regents of Qatar University, President of Qatar National Olympic Committee, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, and Deputy Chairman of the Ruling Family Council.
Other positions he holds include Vice President of the Supreme Council for Economic Affairs and Investment and Deputy Chairman of the High Committee for Coordination and Follow Up.
Sheikh Tamim is member of the International Olympic Committee. In 2006, he headed the Organising Committee of the ASIAD 2006 Games. An avid sports figure, he practised football, tennis and swimming.
In line with the typical grooming of future leaders in the Gulf countries, Sheikh Tamim has been encouraged to assume an active role in Qatar’s domestic and foreign policies as well as in the country’s military.
By Habib Toumi
- Qatari Emir appoints son as deputy chief of armed forces
- His highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani, the father Amir, and her highness Sheikha Moza Bint Nasser participate in National Sport Day at Qatar Foundation
- Nawras appoints Sheikh Saud bin Nasser bin Faleh Al-Thani as Vice Chairman and welcomes new member to the Board of Directors
- In surprise move: Qatar's Emir appoints fourth son as New Crown Prince
- New kid on the jazeera: Meet Qatar's Tamim Al Thani