Sides to reach tentative nuclear deal cutting Iran's centrifuges: diplomat
A handout picture released by the official website of Iran's presidency office shows Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad visits Natanz uranium enrichment facilities some 300 kms, south of the capital Tehran on April 8, 2008. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Baghdad as an alert
Disable alert for Baghdad,
Click here to add Beirut as an alert
Disable alert for Beirut,
Click here to add Benjamin as an alert
Disable alert for Benjamin,
Click here to add Damascus as an alert
Disable alert for Damascus,
Click here to add Lausanne as an alert
Disable alert for Lausanne,
Click here to add Netanyahu as an alert
Disable alert for Netanyahu,
Click here to add Tehran as an alert
Disable alert for Tehran,
Click here to add United States Senate as an alert
Disable alert for United States Senate
Iran and six world powers have reached a provisional agreement on key parts of a deal sharply curtailing Tehran’s nuclear program, Western diplomats in talks in Switzerland said Sunday.
One of these diplomats said Iran had “more or less” agreed to slash the number of its centrifuge machines by more than two-thirds — to under 6,000 centrifuges — and to ship abroad most of its stockpile of nuclear material to Russia.
As negotiators in Lausanne raced to nail down by midnight Tuesday the outlines of a deal, due to be finalized on June 30, the diplomats cautioned, however, that things may change.
Iranian diplomats denied that any tentative agreement on these points had been struck, saying that any reports of a specific number of centrifuges and exporting its stockpiles were “journalistic speculation.”
“The fact is that we will conserve a substantial number of centrifuges, that no site will be closed, in particular Fordo. These are the basis of the talks,” the Iranian diplomat said.
A senior member of the Iranian negotiating team said that the “publication of such information by certain Western media is aimed at creating an atmosphere to disturb the negotiating process.”
Earlier on Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned against the emerging nuclear deal with Iran, saying it was worse than Israel feared.
“After the Beirut-Damascus-Baghdad axis, Iran is maneuvering from the south to take over the entire Middle East,” Netanyahu said at a cabinet meeting, one of the last for his outgoing government. “The Iran-Lausanne-Yemen axis is dangerous for mankind and must be stopped.”
Netanyahu told ministers that he had spoken with Republican leaders in the US Senate and “conveyed our serious concern regarding the arrangement with Iran at the nuclear talks. This agreement confirms all our fears and exceeds them.”
© 2015 The Times of Israel. All rights reserved.