Sinai blasts: Death toll climbs to 33; Egypt police make first arrests
Three more bodies were pulled from the rubble of a Red Sea hotel on Saturday as Egyptian investigators said they had identified a number of suspects in the bombings of Sinai resorts that have so far killed 33 people. Egyptian reports said five Egyptians and at least 23 Israelis were killed in the attacks.
Israel said a 10-year-old child was among those killed in the multiple car bomb attacks on resorts along Egypt's Red Sea coast late Thursday.
Colonel Gideon Bar-On of the Israeli Home Front Command said Saturday that more than 20 Israelis were killed in the explosion that ripped through the Hilton Hotel in Taba, and the two explosions at the town of Ras Satan, some 50 kilometers south of the border crossing.
Also Saturday, Avi Dichter, head of Israel's internal security service Shin Beth, visited the site of the devastated hotel.
Meanwhile, Egyptian police said they had 13 suspects under surveillance, without specifying if they had been arrested or brought in for questioning. "Thirteen suspects among those possibly linked to the attacks are currently under tight surveillance," a police source said, according to AFP, He added they were residents of the Sinai inhabitants or regular visitors to the peninsula's holiday resorts.
Dozens of Bedouin tribesmen have been detained on suspicion they supplied the explosives for the bombings, Egyptian officials said Saturday. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)