One police officer dead after armed attack in Sinai
A conscript was killed and 8 were injured on Monday morning in a new attack targetting Al-Saha military camp in Rafah of the restive Sinai peninsula.
The slain is 22-yearrs old Mahmoud Ali. The injured were transferred to Al-Arish military hospital suffering wounds resulting from shrapnels and bullets.
Al-Arish has also witnessed an attack late Sunday on the security directorate and three security checkpoints. No injuries has been reported in those attacks.
The Sinai Peninsula, which borders Israel, has seen a spike in violence since the removal of Mohamed Morsi by the army on 3 July amid nation-wide protests demanding his ouster.
Over 23 members of the security forces and 10 civilians have been killed in North Sinai's Al-Arish by suspected Jihadist militants since Morsi's ouster.
Dozens of militants were also killed in crackdown by security. State-owned news agency MENA reported on Sunday that over 48 hours 10 militants were killed and 20 arrested by security forces in Sinai.
- 10 dead in Egypt's Sinai day after Mohamed Mahmoud Street anniversary turns violent
- Gun battle in Sinai: Egyptian police exchange fire with mystery attackers
- Four Egyptian soldiers killed in Sinai suicide blast
- 10 militants killed in Sinai by Egyptian police
- Arish attack in North Sinai leaves one dead, four injured