Sisi pledges support for Gaza ceasefire
Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi has pledged during a phone call with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to seek a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip.
Al-Sisi said Egypt seeks "to halt escalations and works to reach a ceasefire at soon as possible", according to the Palestinian Wafa news agency.
Abbas, for his part, discussed means of halting Israeli escalations in the Gaza Strip and underlined the need to abide by a 2012 ceasefire between the Palestinian factions and Israel.
In 2012, Egypt brokered a ceasefire between the Palestinians and Israel, under which the latter halted an eight-day offensive, which left scores of Palestinians dead.
On Tuesday, Israel launched a military offensive - dubbed "Operation Protective Edge" - with the stated aim of staunching Gaza rocket fire.
At least 23 Palestinians were killed and scores injured in Israeli attacks across the Gaza Strip on Tuesday.
The Israeli army said Tuesday that its air and naval forces had struck scores of sites across the Gaza Strip overnight, while ground troops were being amassed on the strip's borders in advance of a possible ground incursion.
Gaza-based resistance factions, for their part, continued to fire rockets into Israel on Tuesday in response to ongoing Israeli airstrikes.
The latest escalations come amid heightened tension over the killing of three teenage Jewish settlers in the West Bank last month and the subsequent murder of a 16-year-old Palestinian boy by Jewish settlers.