Smoking on the Rise Among Bahraini Women
The trend towards smoking among women in Bahrain is increasing, Bahrain Tribune reported Sunday, quoting a senior official.
The Head of the Anti-Smoking Program at the Ministry of Health and Deputy Director of the Health Education Section, Salah Ali, told the paper that "this is an alarming trend that needs to be corrected as soon as possible."
He said the problem is that women want to compete with men in everything possible and that included smoking. “More and more women are now taking to smoking cigarettes as well as the hubble bubble (shisha).”
Ali added that the study, published in the November issue of the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, says that women who smoke experience more wheezing, breathlessness, persistent coughing and asthma than men who smoke -- Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iron-Enriched Flour to be Introduced in Bahrain soon
- Smoking schoolgirls! 65% of Saudi female teens spark up
- Study highlights the influence of cultural and social factors on healthy lifestyle for Arabic women
- Live long and prosper? For this Middle East country, only part of this is true...
- Health Interview – Smoking