Solana to Hold Talks with Mubarak Wednesday
The European Union's foreign affairs chief, Javier Solana, is due to hold talks Wednesday with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on activating resolutions from the EU meeting in Brussels last Friday, Kuwait’s official news agency (KUNA) reported.
An official statement released from the presidential office said that Solana's talks would include discussions of the situation in the Palestinian lands, and ways of uprooting "violence" in the region, in the process of Israeli-Palestinian political negotiations.
The EU stand seeks a political solution for the Middle East, under the framework of international resolutions, and the creation of an independent Palestinian state, it added.
The agency quoted officials as saying that Solana was expected to arrive in Cairo Tuesday evening from Israel, with the aim of meeting regional leaders to try to boost the peace process.
Solana's tour includes Egypt, Israel, Palestinian lands, Jordan and Saudi Arabia.
The recent EU meeting asserted, among other things, the importance of encouraging negotiations among cultures, and developing a "cultural exchange policy" – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Solana to Meet Mubarak, Baz on Wednesday
- Solana in the Region with a Tougher EU Stand on Palestinians
- Mubarak, Solana Hold Talks on Mideast Crisis
- Mubarak Holds Talks with Tunisian President, Due in Tripoli, Kuwait Tuesday
- King Abdullah, Mubarak Urge Israel to “Positively Respond” To Saudi Ideas; Solana To Hold Talks in Saudi Arabia