Sources: Abu Abbas flees from Baghdad, Syria refuses to allow him to enter
Palestinian leader, Muhammad ‘Abbas (aka Abu Abbas) has fled from his home in Baghdad towards the Syrian border, Palestinian sources Sunday told Quds Press. According to these sources, the Syrian authorities refused to allow him to enter the Syrian territory.
Abbas, a member of the PLO Executive Committee, heads the Palestine Liberation Front (PLF). The Abu Abbas-led faction has conducted several attacks against Israel. Abbas's group also was responsible for the attack in 1985 on the cruise ship Achille Lauro and the killing of a US citizen.
A warrant for Abu Abbas's arrest is outstanding in Italy. Since the Achille Lauro attack, the PLF has based itself in Iraq. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Abu Abbas followers claim leader was assassinated by CIA, Mossad while in US custody in Iraq
- Group confirms Abu Abbas visited Cairo, Egypt denies
- Palestinian Leader Vows Anti-Israel Suicide Attacks
- US forces detain Abu Abbas in Baghdad; PA demands his release
- New leader for Palestinian Liberation Front elected