Sources: American troops to begin exercises in Jordan mid-October
Jordan is to host military exercises involving United States and Arab troops starting in mid-October, an official source told AFP on Monday, denying any link with Iraq.
"Prescheduled military exercises that have nothing to do with the Iraq crisis will take place in Jordan around October 15 and will run into November, " the source said.
"It will involve troops from Jordan, the United States and some Arab countries," the source added, denying a report in the Al-Rai daily that said the maneuvers were beginning on Monday.
The military exercises are dubbed Early Victor and are in the framework of regular war games undertaken since 1978, involving Jordanian, US and some other Arab troops, AFP added.
Jordanian officials who spoke of the war games previously also insisted that they had no links whatsoever to any developments in the region, notably US plans to launch a strike against Iraq. (Albawaba.com)
- Jordanian opposition parties urge government to cancel US-Jordanian military exercises
- King Abdullah visits Saudi Arabia as U.S. troops plan to hold military maneuvers in Jordan
- Jordan PM: 4,000 U.S. soldiers to leave Jordan on Wednesday
- UAE, France Start Joint Military Drills
- King Abdullah, Gen. Franks to hold talks on Iraq