Palestine Regained? The PA gets renamed following UN status upgrade
The Palestinian president has ordered his government to officially change the name of the Palestinian Authority to "State of Palestine."
The move follows the November decision by the United Nations to upgrade the Palestinians' status to that of a "non-member observer state."
A statement from his office said the move was aimed at enhancing Palestinian "sovereignty on the ground" and was a step on the way to "real independence." Israel still controls most of the West Bank.
Israel objected to the Palestinian statehood bid at the U.N., calling it a unilateral step aimed at bypassing direct peace negotiations. Abbas denied that.
Israel had no comment Sunday.
Share your thoughts on the Palestinian rebranding: Will it make a difference to the 'cause' or is it just a cosmetic uplifting?
- Arab League boss: Support Palestine financially before politically
- Palestine Inside Out – An Everyday Occupation. Saree Makdisi. W. W. Norton & Company, New York, 2008.
- Introducing the paradox: with no freedom under occupation, can there still be a free market economy in Palestine?
- How is Israel feeling ahead of Palestinian vote?
- Palestinian National Authority Gets $24 Million