Sudan Agrees to Postpone Debate on Lifting Sanctions
The Sudanese government has agreed to a US proposal to postpone debate at the UN Security Council on lifting sanctions imposed on Sudan since 1996, Foreign Minister Mustafa Ismail said Monday.
"We do not want to get into a confrontation with the US and, despite the fact that we believe that our cause is fair, we have consented to the postponement," Ismail told journalists.
The debate, which had been scheduled for next week, has been postponed twice since last June. It was not immediately clear now when the debate would take place.
Khartoum agreed to the delay to allow for further coordination among the Sudanese, US and non-aligned missions at UN headquarters in New York in a bid to obtain a consensus for lifting the sanctions, Ismail said.
The United States broke off relations with Sudan in February 1996, accusing the state of sponsoring Islamic terrorism. The Security Council imposed sanctions two months later in response to Sudan's refusal to turn over suspects implicated in a failed 1995 assassination attempt on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Ethiopia.
The sanctions restricted the movement of Sudanese officials abroad, cut the numbers of diplomatic missions in Sudan and banned regional and international conferences in Sudan.
Meanwhile, Ismail said his Egyptian counterpart Amr Mussa informed him that there had been a "positive" outcome from talks Mubarak had in Washington last week with Bush on the situation in Sudan.
He did not elaborate – KHARTOUM (AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)