Sudanese President Calls for Jihad Against Israel
Sudanese President Omar al-Beshir called Sunday for jihad (Muslim holy war) against Israel to liberate occupied Palestinian lands, in a speech to the Islamic summit in Doha.
"Jihad is the only way to win back the (Palestinian) rights from an enemy which does not believe in the language of peace and dialogue," Beshir told his counterparts in the 56-member Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC).
The Islamist leader regretted that the OIC had amended its statutes to eliminate calls for jihad following the launch of the Middle East peace process.
He urged the Muslim world to "suspend all forms of political and economic normalization with the Israeli enemy" and to support the Palestinian uprising against Israel.
The United States, which sponsors the peace process, "cannot be a fair mediator because they are allies of Israel," he said -- DOHA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Hamas, Islamic Jihad call for Palestine ‘day of rage’
- Thousands of Armed Iraqis March for Jihad Against Israel
- Malaysia's Islamic Party Condemns Israel, Calls for ‘Jihad', Japan Urges Restraint
- Iraq Attends First Arab Summit in 10 Years after Urging Jihad against Israel
- Middle East Islamists Call for Holy War against Israel