Sudanese rebels, government agree to extend cease-fire
Sudanese rebels have agreed to extend a cease-fire with the government in the central Nuba Mountains for another six months.
Brig. Gen. J.E. Wilhelmsen, chairman of the Joint Military Commission, which is monitoring the cease-fire, said on Sunday it had been extended until July 19, 2003, SPA reported.
The commission is an international body, which was formed after the cease-fire was originally negotiated by the United States and Switzerland back in January.
"This is indeed a great moment for all the people of the Nuba mountains who have been supporting the cease-fire agreement," Wilhelmsen, a Norwegian, said in a statement. (Albawaba.com)