Suicide blast kills 12 army recruits in Afghanistan
A group of Afghan army recruits in Kabul. (AFP/File)
A dozen new army recruits were killed and another 38 wounded in a suicide attack on their bus in Sara Rud district of eastern Nangarhar province on Monday, an official said.
The attack took place in Do Sarki area at about 5pm, Nangarhar deputy police chief Col. Syed Abbas Sadat told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said the attacker rammed his explosives-laden rickshaw into the bus carrying the new Afghan National Army recruits. Sadat had no exact figures for the casualties.
The military recruitment head in Nangarhar, Lt. Gen. Asadullah told Pajhwok Afghan News the bus carried a total of 50 new recruits belonging to four eastern provinces. He said the bus came under attack in Do Sarki area.
Giving an eyewitness account, a resident Mohammad Omar said all onboard the bus were in civilian dress. He said a dozen people were killed and some 30 others were wounded in the blast.
The Nangarhar civil hospital director, Dr. Ihsanullah Shinwari, told Pajhwok Afghan News they had been delivered 12 dead bodies and 38 injured persons.
No group has asserted responsibility for the attack so far. More details to follow soon.
By Zeerak Fahim
- Kabul suicide attack on UK diplomats leaves six dead
- Suicide bomber kills 12 in Yemen
- Two US soldiers, three Iraqis killed as American Army says suicide rate among troops in Iraq, Kuwait higher than average
- Baghdad: Suicide bombing attack kills at least 47 people
- School bomb blast kills three in Afghanistan