Suicide bombing attack near Tel Aviv: at least 15 dead, scores injured; Hamas claims responsibility
At least 15 people killed and scores were injured in an explosion at a snooker hall in Rishon Letzion, in the town's new industrial zone. Rishon Letzion is located south of Tel Aviv.
The explosion occurred at around 11:00 P.M. Israeli police confirmed that the explosion was caused by a suicide bomber.
Israel Radio reported that there were dozens of injuries in the blast, which occurred on the first floor of the building, causing at least one upper floor to collapse.
Lebanese Hizbullah's Al Manar TV said it received a claim of responsibility from the Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement - Hamas. But Hamas spokesman Mahmoud Zahar said from his home in Gaza City that he could not confirm the claim.
"We do not have any clear evidence or information except what we are seeing on TV, But if it is a martyrdom operation, it means that Israel has lost its war against the Palestinians and the Palestinian resistance has proved that it is capable of reaching the enemy everywhere."
The explosion occurred shortly after Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon began his meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush in Washington.
David Baker, an official at the Prime Minister's office called the attack "another murderous attack against Israelis." "It is clear that the Palestinian Authority has not given up its terror actions and has not has not given up its murderous path," Baker said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Suicide bombing attack in Rishon Letzion: at least two Israelis killed, more than 20 injured; PA condemns
- No dead in bombing attack at northern Israel as Sharon cabinet expected to weigh response to Rishon Letzion assault
- Two suicide bombers hit Tel Aviv; several people killed, likely foreign workers
- Hamas claims suicide bombing attack near Tel Aviv, PA condemns killing of civilians
- Suicide Bombing in Tel Aviv