Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem Kills Bomber, Leaves Several Injured
Shortly after 7:30 Wednesday morning, a Palestinian suicide bomber blew himself up on King David Street in in Jerusalem. Israel Radio reported that six people were very lightly injured from flying glass.
AFP said that the bomber blew himself to pieces in front of the Hilton hotel, slightly injuring three people, one day after Israel launched massive raids in response to previous attacks on its cities.
Two Palestinians were killed and more than 150 injured in the Israeli blitzes.
According to the Tel Aviv-based Haaretz, police are currently investigating whether the bomb went off prematurely. They are also investigating whether the bomber intended the David Citadel as his chief target or some other downtonw Jerusalem spot.
Jerusalem Mayor Ehud Olmert said on Israel radio shortly after the bombing that two government ministers - Public Security Minister Uzi Landau and Religious Affairs Minister Asher Ohana - were staying at the David Citadel Hotel this morning.
A fleet of ambulances was rushed to the scene and police sealed of the road, causing major disruption the city's rush-hour traffic.
Israeli army radio said US peace envoy Anthony Zinni, staying in a neighboring hotel, must have heard the explosion, according to AFP.
On Saturday, Jerusalem was hit by a double suicide bomb attack which left 12 people dead, including the bombers, and some 180 injured.
Less than 12 hours later, another suicide bomber killed 14 Israelis and a woman from the Philippines as well as himself on a bus in Haifa, northern Israel – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Islamic Jihad Claims Responsibility for Jerusalem Suicide Bombing, Threatens more Attacks
- No dead in bombing attack at northern Israel as Sharon cabinet expected to weigh response to Rishon Letzion assault
- Palestinian Suicide Bomber Injures ''Shin Beit'' Personnel; Woman Suicide Bomber in Jerusalem Identified As Wafa Idris
- Suicide Bombing Attack in Jerusalem
- Suicide attacks kill at least 15 Israelis, Hamas praises bombers