Suicide Bombing Wounds 12 in Central Jerusalem
Twelve people were wounded early Tuesday when a Palestinian suicide bomber blew himself up in the center of Jerusalem, Israeli Radio reported.
Two were in serious condition, three sustained moderate injuries and the rest were lightly injured, said the radio, cited by Haaretz newspaper.
The explosion took place near the Bikur Holim Hospital on Hanevi'im Street, which is near the Sbarro restaurant where a suicide bomber blew himself up several weeks ago, killing 15 people.
Jerusalem police chief Mikki Levy said that the blast was "extremely powerful" and that the bomber had blown himself up next to a group of people.
A doctor at Bikur Holim Hospital told the paper that the casualties were suffering from burns and injuries inflicted by the nails, screws and shards of metal incorporated into the bomb.
Police have closed off the area and set up roadblocks, said Haaretz.
Meanwhile, two Palestinians were killed in serious clashes with the Israeli army on Monday.
The violence also left 28 Palestinians wounded in the West Bank city of Hebron, with hopes of a peace breakthrough fading further, said AFP.
The killing of Imad Al Batsh, 19, and 23-year-old Amjad Al Jamal brought the toll in the most recent 11 months of Israeli occupation to 765 dead, the overwhelming majority Palestinian civilians, after hours of clashes erupted in the West Bank city of Hebron.
The city, where 400 Israeli settlers live amid 120,000 Palestinians, again exploded in bloodshed after Palestinians threw a bomb at the Jewish enclave and then opened fire on Israeli troops, according to Israeli army sources.
The army said it returned fire. Palestinian hospital sources said Jamal was shot twice in the head when running to give assistance to Batsh, who they said was on the roof of his house when gunned down by Israeli troops.
The army sources said two Israeli soldiers were wounded, one moderately and one lightly, AFP added.
Earlier in the day, Israel's US-made helicopter gunships destroyed a Palestinian intelligence office at the western entrance of Hebron in what the army said was retaliation for earlier bomb attacks in the occupied east Jerusalem that wounded five Israelis.
The military wing of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility for the operation.
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, who made waves of his own Monday by snubbing the EU's foreign policy chief Javier Solana, vowed Sunday that Israel would not accept any more attacks on the Gilo settlement in east Jerusalem.
The latest Palestinian uprising against 34 years of Israeli military occupation began in September 2000.
The ratio of Palestinians to Israelis killed stands at around four to one.
According to Amnesty International, Israeli soldiers have killed roughly 100 Palestinian children, nearly all in situations where the safety of the occupation forces was in no immediate danger – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinians Blame Israel's 'Continued Aggression' for Jerusalem Blast
- Israel Plans Crackdown on PA Police in Occupied Jerusalem
- Israeli Soldiers Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 31 in Gaza, West Bank
- Israeli Police Claim Members of PFLP Cell Arrested in Jerusalem
- Israeli Helicopter Gunships Destroy PA Intelligence HQ near Hebron