Suspect behind attack on Americans in Kuwait identified
Security authorities in Kuwait hold the suspected gunman in the killing of a US civilian earlier this week.
The suspect was arrested in Saudi Arabia. According to the official Saudi Press Agency, Saudi border guards Wednesday arrested a Kuwaiti "sneaking into Saudi Arabia from Kuwait." "The initial investigation revealed that he was the assailant who fired on the American citizens on Tuesday," the report said.
On Thursday, he was extradited from Saudi Arabia for questioning, a senior Kuwaiti security source said.
The suspect was identified as Sami al-Mutairi, a Kuwaiti civil servant in his 20s. A Kuwaiti official said al-Mutairi was the prime suspect, but "had partners, maybe two."
Newspapers said al-Mutairi had also been detained several times in Kuwait in the past for suspected links to militant groups. They said he had tried to go to Afghanistan after the September 11 attacks but was stopped in Pakistan. (Albawaba.com)
- Kuwaiti suspected of killing American praises September 11 attacks
- Kuwait Arrests Suspect in Murder of Canadian Man
- Kuwait Arrests Two More in Crackdown on ‘Terror’ Group
- Kuwaiti traffic policeman injures two American troops, flees to Saudi Arabia
- No. 7 most wanted Al Qaeda suspect in Saudi Arabia captured, killed in clashes