Syria: 15 soldiers killed in blast at military base
A huge blast has ripped through a military complex in northern Syria and dozens of soldiers were taken to hospitals with injuries, witnesses said. Official reports said at least 15 soldiers were killed and 50 others were wounded.
"15 soldiers were martyred and 50 were wounded. Most of the wounded were treated to their minor wounds caused by the shattered glass and left the hospital," a Syria source said.
The incident took place early in the morning at an infantry school in the Muslemiah area north of the city of Aleppo, sources told Reuters.
They said the explosion was an accident. According to them, due to the current heat wave in Syria a fire was sparked in the complex, which contains ammunition stockpiles.
An official source confirmed Thursday that the explosion was due to the high temperature that set off the high explosives materials. The source added that "the explosion was not the result of sabotage."
- Three US soldiers killed in Iraq, blast near Baghdad police station kills one person
- Blast hits military site near Syrian coastal city
- At least seven dead in Baghdad market explosion as US soldier killed in mortar attack
- At least five killed, 20 wounded in Syria bomb blast
- Three Israeli soldiers wounded in military base explosion