Syria: 700 evacuated from Homs despite aid convoys coming under fire
A civilian in a wheel chair is aided by an armed man ahead of being evacuated by United Nations staff, from the besieged district of the central Syrian city of Homs to a safer location. (AFP)
Click here to add Bashar Assad as an alert
Disable alert for Bashar Assad,
Click here to add Dina Elkassaby as an alert
Disable alert for Dina Elkassaby,
Click here to add Geneva as an alert
Disable alert for Geneva,
Click here to add Homs as an alert
Disable alert for Homs,
Click here to add Syrian Arab News Agency as an alert
Disable alert for Syrian Arab News Agency,
Click here to add the New York Times as an alert
Disable alert for the New York Times,
Click here to add United Nations as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations,
Click here to add Valerie Amos as an alert
Disable alert for Valerie Amos,
Click here to add Wall Street Journal as an alert
Disable alert for Wall Street Journal,
Click here to add World Food Program as an alert
Disable alert for World Food Program
An estimated 1,800 civilians remained in a blockaded area of Homs, Syria, besieged by regime forces Monday with more peace talks on tap in Switzerland.
Nearly 700 people had been taken out of the city by U.N. convoy since Friday. The three-day evacuation by the United Nations and Syrian Arab Red Crescent aid organization was intended to build trust toward a diplomatic solution to the country's 3-year-old civil war.
But it was marred by mortar shells and sniper bullets that killed more than 10 civilians waiting or trying to leave, the Wall Street Journal and anti-regime activists said.
The Assad regime and opposition each blamed the other for the deadly attacks.
Some U.N. employees and an aid worker told the Journal they blamed forces loyal to the Assad regime for the attacks.
The United Nations didn't officially assign responsibility.
"It is deliberate targeting, which is unacceptable," Valerie Amos, who heads the United Nations' global relief efforts, told the newspaper.
The official Syrian Arab News Agency said the violence was carried out by rebels who didn't want civilians to leave.
The agreement for the operation called for daily 12-hour cease-fires so desperately needed food and medicine could be delivered and civilians could be evacuated.
A total of more than 2,500 non-combatants had been trapped in the central-western city's half-square-mile old quarter, which the opposition called the "capital of the revolution" before the siege.
"Some people were living off roots and weeds and grass and olives if they were lucky," World Food Program spokeswoman Dina Elkassaby told the New York Times.
One man whose wife died of malnutrition said he had survived on one spoon of a cereal product called bulgur daily for the past week, Elkassaby said.
Despite the weekend's events, opposition and Assad regime delegations were to meet in Geneva Monday for a second round of talks.
The first round in the so-called Geneva II talks ended 10 days ago with no substantial results.
The regime maintains the talks should focus on combating terror, while the opposition says they must pave the way for a transitional government without President Bashar Assad.
The regime says it is open to creating a transitional government but flatly rejects any rule without Assad.
Western diplomats in Geneva told the Journal they didn't believe the Homs situation would hurt the talks.
"So far, I'm not picking up any negative impact on the atmosphere in Geneva," one diplomat said.
An opposition adviser told the newspaper opposition delegates were focusing on political transition and didn't want the talks to get bogged down in arguments over what happened in Homs.
- Red Crescent: 300 more evacuated from Homs
- More ‘strategic evacuations’ from Syria to come while attack on aid convoys snuffs out hopes for peace
- Russia to reject U.N. aid resolution on Syria as aid convoys wait Wednesday to resume evacuation in Homs
- Aid convoy reaches besieged Homs
- Conjoined twins die as they wait for evacuation in Syria