Syrian government continues air offensive on Raqqa, at least 20 jihadists killed
At least twenty jihadists from the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS) were killed in a Syria government-led air raid Wednesday in the city of Raqqa, according to Agence France Presse.
"At least 20 members of ISIS were killed and others were injured in air strikes... targeting an ISIS training base in Raqqa," said the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
"From 10 June (when Mosul fell from Iraqi government control) to date, the Syrian air force really stepped up its raids against ISIS positions, and there have been strikes every day since then," said Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman.
Another 14 ISIS' military vehicles were also targeted and destroyed in the offensive according to the Observatory.
ISIS has been in control of Syria's city of Raqqa since earlier this year, and recently claimed control of territory in five of Iraq's provinces as well as the Syria-Iraq border crossing.
ISIS also declared the establishment of a so-called "caliphate" in late June, but many prominent jihadists from other groups have rejected the establishment.
"There has been a marked escalation. The regime fears ISIS getting stronger, especially after it brought in vehicles from Iraq," added Abdel Rahman.
In addition to regime strikes, rebel groups have also been fighting against ISIS in Syria since January.