Syria marks Army Day
Syria's President Bashar al-Assad reiterated his country’s firm stances in defense of the "Arab legitimate rights and its readiness for just and comprehensive peace".
In a message to the army and armed forces officers and privates on the 59th anniversary of the foundation of the Syrian Army, al-Assad stressed that Syria is committed to the peace term of reference in line with the international legitimacy resolutions and the land-for-peace principle, SANA reported.
The President emphasized that Syria stands by the people of Iraq in their plight and would spare no efforts to help them maintain the unity of their lands and sovereignty.
He pointed out that the "tragic" situation in Iraq has created complicated climates that could negatively affect the entire region and probably beyond it.
Meanwhile, Commander the Lebanese army, Lt. Gen. Michael Suleiman has stressed the need of coordination with the Syrian army in the service of Syria and Lebanon.
In his speech on Saturday marking the Syrian Army Day, Suleiman underlined the importance of efforts which were exerted and are still being exerted by the Lebanese army to deter the Israeli repeated naval, land and airspace violations and support the national resistance.
"The Israeli enemy is still targeting our land, security, and stability. This necessitates the army to be on a high alert to deal with all kinds of aggression." Suleiman said.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- President Assad: Israel always committed massacres; Syrian Army should be ready to counter aggression
- Assad: Peace with Israel just after return of all occupied Syrian lands
- Lebanese Army General stresses importance of cooperation with Syria
- Syrian President, Army Chief receive Lebanese Army Commander
- Assad: Huge gap bwtween peace elements and Israeli demands