Syria submits destruction plan to OPCW on time
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) confirmed on Sunday that Syria has submitted its chemical arms destruction plan on time.
The world’s chemical weapons watchdog says Syria sent the details of its poison gas and nerve agent stock and a plan to destroy all facilities linked to the deadly arsenal on Thursday, as part of a strict timeline that aims to destroy the stockpile by mid-2014, according to the Associated Press.
Syria had until Oct. 27 to present its plan.
“On the 24 of October 2013, the Syrian Arab Republic submitted to the OPCW its formal initial declaration covering its chemical weapons program,” an OPCW watchdog said in a statement reported by AFP, adding that Damascus had had until Sunday to do so.
The Hague-based organization says such declarations by member states “provide the basis on which plans are devised for a systematic, total and verified destruction of declared chemical weapons and production facilities.”
No details of the declaration or destruction plan were released on Sunday.
Syria had already given preliminary details to the OPCW and inspectors have visited most of the 23 declared sites in Damascus.
- OPCW finalizes Syria chemical weapons destruction plan, details to be released Wednesday
- U.N. inspectors unable to access two chemical sites in Syria
- UN chemical watchdog says says all Syrian production facilities destroyed
- OPCW to finalize, officially approve Syria chemical weapon destruction plan Tuesday
- OPCW: Last batch of chemical weapons removed from Syria