Syrian opposition cancels boycott after promises of 'specific aid'
Syria's opposition leaders have said that they will now attend an international conference in Rome this week, after the US and UK 'promised specific aid' to the Syrian people.
The group had previously announced it would boycott the talks because of "the world's silence" over the ongoing civil war in the country.
The move comes as US Secretary of State John Kerry and British Foreign Minister William Hague confirmed there would be more support for Syria's opposition, the BBC reports.
After meeting Hague and British Prime Minister David Cameron, Kerry called Syrian Opposition Council President Moaz Al-Khatib and encouraged him to join the Rome talks on Thursday.
On Monday evening, al-Khatib said in a Facebook post that his group would fly to Italy.
According to his post, Kerry and Hague had both offered guarantees 'to alleviate the suffering of Syrian people'.
The talks would be "used as a practical way to reassess relations between the Syrian opposition and international parties", the post added.
- Syrian opposition to meet with G8 ministers in London
- Friends of Syria, opposition agree no Assad in future government
- Friends of Syria to meet with Syria opposition in London talks this week
- Kerry and Hague to meet as Syria peace conference in doubt
- Syrian opposition are invited for key talks in Russia - reports