Syrian rebels receive huge Gulf-financed weapons shipment
Syrian army tanks are seen deployed in the Jobar neighbourhood of Damascus on August 24, 2013. (AFP)
Click here to add Barack Obama as an alert
Disable alert for Barack Obama,
Click here to add Bashar Assad as an alert
Disable alert for Bashar Assad,
Click here to add Damascus as an alert
Disable alert for Damascus,
Click here to add Mohammad Salam as an alert
Disable alert for Mohammad Salam,
Click here to add Reuters as an alert
Disable alert for Reuters,
Click here to add Supreme Military Council as an alert
Disable alert for Supreme Military Council,
Click here to add Syrian government as an alert
Disable alert for Syrian government,
Click here to add Tehran as an alert
Disable alert for Tehran,
Click here to add United Nations as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations
Four hundred tonnes of weapons were smuggled into Syria from Turkey on Sunday in a bid to boost opposition capabilities, rebel sources told Reuters, following a suspected chemical weapons strike on rebel-held suburbs of Damascus last Wednesday.
The source told Reuters the Gulf-financed shipment, which came from the Turkish province of Hatay in the past 24 hours, was one of the single biggest shipments of weapons to reach rebel forces since the uprising against President Bashar Assad turned deadly more than two years ago.
"Twenty trailers crossed from Turkey and are being distributed to arms depots for several brigades across the north," Mohammad Salam, a rebel operative who witnessed the crossing from an undisclosed location in Hatay, told Reuters.
A senior official in the Gulf and Western backed Supreme Military Council, an umbrella group for rebel troops, confirmed the arms delivery, and said that weapons airlifts into Turkey have significantly increased since rebel held Sunni neighbourhoods and suburbs of the Syrian capital Damascus were allegedly gassed last Wednesday.
Syrian opposition sources say between 500 and well over 1,000 civilians were killed this week by deadly nerve gas fired by pro-Assad forces. The attack caused international outrage following video footage of young children killed by the alleged gas attacks went viral on the internet. It has increased calls abroad for military intervention after over two years of international inertia over Syria's conflict.
Syrian authorities sought to avert blame on Saturday by saying its government troops discovered chemical weapons in suburban Damascus tunnels frequently used by rebels. However, Western powers cited preliminary evidence indicating that troops loyal to the Syrian government were behind the chemical attack, and the United States is repositioning naval forces in the Mediterranean to give President Barack Obama the option of a military strike in Syria, should it be required.
Iran's foreign minister said the Syrian government had told Tehran it would allow U.N. inspectors to visit areas reportedly affected by chemical weapons, Iran's Press TV said on Sunday, according to Reuters. This follows hints made by Syrian minister of information Omran Zoabi that the UN team, already in Damascus, would not be allowed access to the chemical weapons site as it was not previously agreed on by the UN and the Syrian government.
- Free Syrian Army claims to have received game-changing shipment of weapons
- CIA helps push through weapons shipments to Syrian rebels - reports
- Libya facilitating weapon shipments to Syrian rebels
- Syrian opposition warns Iraq over arms shipment to Assad forces
- Syrian rebels say they have received more US-made weapons