Syria rejects US report on human rights
A Syrian Foreign Ministry official source commented on Thursday on the latest US. State Department’s Report on Human Rights, saying that "the US. Administration will be very much mistaken when it assumes the role of human rights defender in the world at time when these very rights have been flagrantly violated by it in more than one place in the world, including Guantanamo and Abu-Ghraib’s scandals , and its silence and blessing of the violation of the Palestinian human rights."
The annual US human rights report was very critical regarding Iran and Syria. Iran and Syria were highlighted as having the worst human rights problems.
- Syria slams US human right report as Powell ''disappointed'' with Assad policy
- Bahrain criticizes damning U.S. report on violence and human rights
- US report cites Israel and Arab countries as having major human rights flaws
- US State Department reportedly unable to understand Arabic reports of Syria violations
- US report cites extensive human rights abuses by Lebanese security forces