New UN envoy to Syria named
The Italian-Swedish diplomat will replace the former envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi who resigned from his post at the end of May following failed peace talks between the regime and opposition and President Bashar Assad's announcement to run for re-election.
The UN Security Council has already confirmed de Mistura's nomination, but the decision has not yet been officially announced by the UN, according to the AFP report.
De Mistura has previously served in envoy posts in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Veteran UN diplomat to lead Syria's chemical weapon elimination
- Former UN peace envoy warns Syria to become Somalia-like failed state
- New peace envoy to Syria slated to meet with UN Security Council this week
- UN's Syria envoy presents new peace proposal
- UN envoy: Syria and Lebanon should fulfill all provisions in UN Resolution 1559