Syria welcomes Russia proposal for peace meeting
Syria on Sunday welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin's proposal for a Mideast peace meeting in the fall.
Al-Thawra newspaper said the Russian proposal was an opportunity to distinguish between "those who are in the peace trench and those facing the opposite direction."
"The idea was a practical test of the U.S. and Israeli policies and of their credibility," it said, adding that it unmasked their desire to alone decide whether to accept or reject peace.
- Russia, U.S. meet in hope of breathing new life into Syria flagging peace talks
- "Friends of Syria" to discuss peace proposal in Amman talks
- Syria Welcomes Russian Peace Efforts
- US, Russia to meet with UN envoy Brahimi in Geneva in early November
- NATO, Russia back destruction of Syria chemical weapons, Geneva peace talks