Syrian Baath party to ease grip on political life
The ruling Baath party has pledged to ease its grip on Syrian political life, according to a report published on Sunday.
"The role of the leader-party is to plan, oversee, direct, observe and take account," stressed a party declaration printed in the Iqtisadiyya magazine, noting "the need for comrades and party institutions to be entirely distant from daily executive work."
Sunday's resolution comes after a call by hundreds of Syrian intellectuals to president Bashar al Assad to expand political liberties.
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- ‘The Promise’ Portrays Syrian Intellectuals’ Life
- Syria ruling party OKs some political reforms as Annan says Lebanon full withdrawal in question
- Spokeswoman of al-Baath Congress comments on president's speech
- Syria's Political Leaders Pledge Support to Bashar's Candidacy at Baath Congress
- Banned Syrian Parties to Apply for Licenses