Syrian daily slams US veto on resolution condemning Israel for assassination Hamas founder
Syria's Al Thawra daily on Sunday noted that the veto which was used by the United States Friday to prevent the UN Security Council from issuing a resolution condemning Israel for the assassination of Hamas founder, Sheikh Ahmad Yassin, came to protect Israel and to keep it outside accountability.
In its editorial, the daily indicated that the world has suffered a lot from the US "extremism and blind rallying Israel," whereby the region is still being plagued by tragedies in addition to oppression, injustice and attrition.
The daily pointed out that the international community has become ineffective taking orders from the United States.
The daily stressed that all this necessitates a firm stance that corrects the role of the United Nations through the abolition of the veto and double standard policy.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US vetoes UN resolution condemning Israeli killing of Sheikh Yassin
- Damascus Radio slams US for veto of Security Council draft resolution
- Syria urges US not to veto UN resolution condemning Israel's air raid
- Leader of Hamas in Gaza Strip: ''Bush is enemy of Islam''
- Damascus Radio: US “turning blind eye” to “Israeli crimes”